WHO WE ARE
Hiawatha Church is a community of people who don’t think much of themselves but who do think much of Jesus. We are voluntarily affiliated with Converge North Central, the Acts 29 church planting network, as well as a growing network of churches in the Twin Cities metro area to help make a difference in our city for Christ.
Our vision is to glorify God by spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ, through word and deed, among our church and out to our city and beyond. In this, we hope to help edify the church and at the same time introduce Jesus to people who have never heard about him. Wherever you are with God—whatever your spiritual background—we invite you to come hear about Jesus in a casual environment, asking big questions about Christianity, the Bible, or whatever else is on your mind and heart.
Join us Sundays at 10am (summer hours) - back to two services on September 10th!
We meet at 4155 41st Avenue South in South Minneapolis, on the corner of 41st Avenue and 42nd Street, four blocks south of the Riverview Cafe and Riverview Theater.
Hiawatha Church began as a dream in the minds of a handful of people back in 2004, when God began to stir up a desire to plant a church on the south side of Minneapolis. Here’s a sampling of what they dreamed when they started thinking more about what this church might look like:
- They dreamed of a church with a distinct “South Minneapolis” or young-urban vibe: full of creativity, casualness, good coffee, and clarity on how the gospel informs our love for the earth and our pursuit of peace.
- They dreamed of a church passionate for local mission, buying homes close to where they gather on Sundays, and living with evangelistic zeal indefinitely.
- They dreamed of a church that would reach pagans and moralists at the exact same time with a gospel that calls us away from not just bad deeds and irreligion, but also our good deeds that do not proceed from faith (religion).
- They dreamed of a church that would teach people that the Bible was not about them.
- They dreamed of a church that would pursue word-based and deed-based ministry in a healthy biblical balance.
- They dreamed of a church that would be marked by love, radical Christian friendship, and hospitality.
- They dreamed of a church that could laugh at themselves while taking God very seriously as the same time because of how much their self-worth was wrapped up in Jesus Christ alone.
- And they dreamed of a church that would multiply itself through robust church planting efforts and global missions.
Long story short: on September 3, 2006 public gatherings began and Hiawatha Church was born!
And it has been quite a ride ever since. God has helped us see many conversions and baptisms. He has led many to buy homes in Minneapolis to help further the local mission that we’re called to. He has helped many to understand the Bible through a gospel-centered lens rather than the “lens of self” that they brought into our church. He has made us a very diverse church that is unified around something (or rather, someone) much greater than ourselves and our - relatively speaking - petty agendas. And he has given us the opportunity to send some of our members to Costa Rica, Germany, France, New York, and other parts of the Twin Cities metro area to plant new churches, to build up the existing local church there, and to otherwise tell many people about Jesus who have never heard about him!
Your prayers for our church would be greatly appreciated as we move forward with our same vision to glorify God by spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ through word and deed among our church and out to our city and beyond!
To God be the glory for all the good he has done among us and all the good that will occur in the future. Everything good that has ever happened in this church is a gift from him.